Francis "Kiko" Magalona Dies



Francis "Kiko" Magalona, otherwise known as Francis M, succumbed to leukemia and died about 12 noon today at the Medical City. He was diagnosed with AML or Acute Myelogenous Leukemia with Mixed Lineage last August 2008 and have been undergoing treatment since then.

Vic Sotto of Eat Bulaga announced Fancis M's death in national television right after Pia Arroyo, Francis' wife, informed him of her husband's fate. The announcement literally saddened the whole nation and Vic requested a moment of silence from the audience. Francis used to co-host in the noontime show.

Minutes after his death was announced, Francis' friends rushed to hospital to comfort the bereaved family. Spotted in the Medical City's viscinity were Francis M's close friends Herbert Bautista, Michael V and Ogie Alcasid.

Everyone in the TAPE / Eat Bulaga group was shocked and teary-eyed when they heard the news.

"Hindi ako makaimik agad. I was shocked. I didn’t know what to do. Nakayuko na lang ako. Nagdasal at para akong natuyuan ng laway,” said Anjo Yllana who co-hosted with Kiko in a television noontime show.

"I was caught flat-footed. I felt so sad. Imagine, he was with us for a long time and we were praying for his early recovery only to find out na wala na siya,” another co-host Pauleen Luna said.

Joey de Leon also expressed his sadness in Kiko's early death. "I will miss him and his arts. Remember we are both painters. He’s like a younger brother to me," Joey said.

"Nagpaparamdam na si Kiko kay Pia. Nagpapahiwatig na wala nang pag-asa si Kiko pero nakakapagsalita pa nang bahagya. Nakapagbilin pa siya kay Pia. Tapos, kaninang magtatanghali, tumawag si Pia kay Bossing (Vic Sotto) informing him that hindi na magtatagal si Francis,” TV reporter Josie MaƱago revealed in a statement at the Broadway Centrum premises Friday afternoon.

Francis Magalona's remains lie in state at the Funeraria Paz in Araneta Avenue, Quezon City and will be brought to Christ The King Memorial Chapel in Greenmeadows, Quezon City tomorrow for the fans to see their idol for the last time. The public is allowed to view Fancis' remains starting tomorrow, March 7, 2009 from 6am to 6pm until Tuesday March 10, next week.

Francis M is known as the "King of Pinoy Rap" as he is the first Filipino rapper to crossover to the mainstream market. He is best known for his monster hit "Mga Kababayan Ko" which marked the birth of rap music in the Philippines.

He got also into painting and photography and a member of the Camera Club of the Philippines.

His last album is a collaboration with Eraseheads lead vocalist Ely Buendia and various artists titled "The Sickos Project".

Francis Magalona was ready for his death, he saw it coming. This is evident in his last entry in his blog "a Free Mind" which says:

"I look forward to the pain as I know my journey is on full speed ahead. I will not be bold to say that without asking a favor from you all. PLEASE PRAY for me as I undergo treatment. Your prayers, as always, have sustained me. And am sure the Lord will listen to all our prayers. To His will I submit myself.

God bless you, my friend."

He was 44.

No comments:

Post a Comment